Everyday Use

As I write this, Thanksgiving is only a few days away.  This is a holiday for family gatherings.  Some gatherings go smoothly, while others don't.  The family gathering in the story "Everyday Use" is one that does not go smoothly...


I received this quilt as a gift many years ago.  The cute cats make me smile.  Since this story has to do with quilts, I thought I would photograph the book with a quilt.

Title: "Everyday Use"

Author: Alice Walker

Genre: general fiction

Time to read: about 20 minutes

Found in: In Love & in Trouble, a collection of Walker's stories

Storyline: Mrs. Johnson, the narrator of this story, has two adult daughters.  One daughter, Maggie, still lives at home.  The other daughter, the prodigal Dee, has returned for a visit.  And what a strange visit it is!  The once haughty and self-centered Dee has made some changes in her life, and she has even changed her name--to Wangero.  Wangero now claims to be interested in her roots.  But how much has she really changed?  She shows her true colors when she tries to lay claim to her mother's heirloom quilts, and family drama ensues.

Illustrations: no internal illustrations; no information available on the cover art

Notes: I didn't eat a snack as I read this story, but I do want to share with you a picture of a cute little autumn meal that I had recently.  The panini sandwich, pumpkin cheesecake, and coffee are from Java Lab Cafe in Saint Paul, Minnesota.  And with that, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!  May it be drama-free.



Happy T-Day, too!  :)




Comments

  1. That pumpkin cheese is so cute. I bet it was tasty, as was the pannini. And I haven't read this book but it does sound interesting. I will add it to my wish list. Happy T day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing your read, that lovely quilt and that yummy meal!
    Happy T day and a happy Thanksgiving to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My keyboard is having a PMS hissy fit today, and refuses to work much of the time. I would LOVE to leave you a personal message like you are used to from me, but it took nearly 30 minutes to write my last "real" message. Fortunately, my mouse still works well, so I can copy and paste this generic message to you. So, I will just wish all my U. S. friends a very happy Thanksgiving and EVERYONE a very happy T Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your coffee and cake snack looks great, yummy! The quilt is beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving to you! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. i must make researches about the book and i LOVE this quilt!
    happy t- day and thanksgiving:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the book review 😁. That cute little cheesecake caught my eye though, it looks amazing and is so beautifully decorated too - yum! Wishing you a lovely T Day and Happy Thanksgiving! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds a good book to read and the quilt looks beautiful.
    The meal looks delicious.
    Happy Thanksgiving and T day wishes.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know which is cuter, the kitty quilt or the pumpkin cheesecake. Have a Happy T Day and Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  9. What yummy food and an adorable quilt... just love those cats... Not familiar with the book though.. thanks so much for sharing this T day!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, not all family gatherings go smoothly, and not many people make drastic changes to who they really are. That pannini has me hungry for lunch, and that adorable dessert looks almost too pretty to eat. Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute autumn meal indeed, Denise. It sounds like an interesting read, but I don't think I'll read it before the holiday. It might put me in the wrong mood ;-)

    Happy T-day and Happy Thanksgiving! Eileen xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for the book review, and your fall lunch looks tasty. the kitty quilt is too cute-love it Happy Thanksgiving and Happy T Day Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing something about the book you are Reading. I have read something by that author (The color purple) but as a non-native English speaker I found the language she used at times difficult to understand.
    The quilt is beautiful. I wish you and your family a very blessed Thanksgiving and no dramas around your quilt.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your Autumn meal - just the right amount of everything! I love short stories so can understand your appreciation of this book - Thanks for the review! Happy Thanksgiving and Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  15. The book sounds interesting, and the food looks yummy! Hope your Thanksgiving was without drama, and a warm and loving gathering of family! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment