Apple Kuchen Recipe

Hello, there!  In my last post I mentioned the apple kuchen that I made recently, so today I thought I'd share the recipe.



There are many different variations of apple kuchen, but mine is kind of a cross between pie and bars.  First you make the bottom crust, by combining:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
Work these ingredients together until they form a soft dough, then pat the dough into a square baking dish.  Build up the edges a little bit, so that they will hold in the filling.

For the filling, mix 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or apple pie spice in a small bowl.  Thinly slice two apples (peeled or not, your choice), dip each slice in the cinnamon sugar, and arrange the slices in rows on top of the shortbread crust.

Finally, for the top crust, combine:
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I like fat-free, but regular works, too)
This mixture will be wet and sticky.  Spread it over the rows of apples.  Then bake the kuchen for 35-45 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 

After the kuchen cools, cut it into squares.  It looks a bit homely in the pan, but it still tastes good.


Once I tried to make it look prettier by alternating slices of yellow and green apple and using white sugar instead of brown sugar in the crust.  But I'm not sure whether that actually looks any prettier.


In any case, kuchen does look nicer once individual slices are placed on serving plates.  It's a triple delight: the shortbread-like bottom crust, the juicy apple layer, and the tender top crust.

~white sugar version~


~brown sugar version~

I have to smile about that last photo.  I have been trying to cut down on my caffeine intake, so I'm limiting myself to two cups of coffee per day.  The deprivation has been...challenging.  On this day, I was so excited to get my daily coffee allotment that I drank half the cup before I remembered to snap a picture for the blog.



To find out what kinds of tea, coffee, and other drinks creative bloggers have been enjoying lately, do check out T Stands for Tuesday, the weekly online "tea party" that I am linking to today.

Comments

  1. Thank you for the recipe, Denise. I'm one who commented last week that I love kuchen but don't have a good recipe. No more excuses!

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I printed off the recipe and would like to try it. I think homey looking food is the best. And it looks delicious. Tough time of year to cut back on caffeine, at least for me. With all the darkness all I want to do is sleep. happy T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really yummy!! I'll have to save that for later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great, thanks for sharing the recipe, happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also going to try this recipe, because I had never heard of it before and was curious. I had to laugh as I was reading, I misread "when KITCHEN cools. . ." The second recipe is very pretty, but unless you are making it for a dinner party, I'm sure your husband and son will love it regardless of the beauty factor.

    I commend you. I could never just drink two cups of coffee a day, so I can see why you got excited enough to have your alloted cup. Thanks for sharing your kuchen recipe AND your coffee with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tray bakes look delicious. Thank you for the recipe.
    A piece with a cuppa sounds good to me.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. bookmarked!! thank you:)
    it will be the kuchen for next Weekend.
    happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like recipes that aren't fussy to make. Your apple kuchen fits the bill perfectly. I had to laugh about forgetting to take a photo of food or beverage. Glad I'm not the only one. Have a Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol 😉 ... so funny about the coffee photo! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe, it looks delicious 😁. Wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for the recipe-it looks delicious. I had to give up all caffeine a few years ago-quite difficult for sure-Have a great week Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will try it as well! Thank you for sharing - sounds and looks so yummie!
    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodmorning Denise... your apple kutchen looks delicious... Thank you for sharing... I only drink coffee in the morning ... usually two ... but some days... are just three cup days...lol Happy T day dear Denise! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never even had kuchen much less made it. Thanks for sharing the recipe :) Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks a great recipe - there may just be a little too much sugar for mybdiabeyes to cope with! I drink several coffees a day but some of them are instant decaf! Hugs,Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, my version of the recipe has less sugar and fat than how my grandma used to make apple kuchen! But I agree with you, it is still a lot of sugar.

      Delete
  15. This looks so yummy! Thanks for the recipe. I really want to try this! Happy late Tea day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment